Find me now on Facebook

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Serious Business Can Also Be Serious Fun!

I must admit that 2008 was a very exciting and fast-paced year! I finished this year off with a BANG!, literally! I just completed my concealed pistol license (CPL) class today so that I could apply for my permit to carry a handgun for personal protection when performing my activities as a real estate investor. Several other investors have told me that it’s not only a good idea, but it’s essential to have personal protection when entering vacant properties to inspect them as potential purchases. It hasn’t happened to me, yet, but several others have told me their personal stories of uncomfortable and potentially dangerous encounters with squatters and others found inside the property who should not be there.

So, not only did I want to protect myself if necessary, I also wanted to obey the laws and legally protect my right to keep and bear arms so that I could also protect and defend my family at all times. It’s increasingly necessary in these times of uncertainty. Many people who are out of work or in other ways have fallen on hard times can become desperate and do desperate things. I don’t want my family to be confronted with such a situation. I want to be prepared.

I consider a CPL simply a necessary tool needed by the real estate investor just like a digital camera and a notepad. It’s part of your “utility belt.”

Here is the picture of my range target at the end of the training session.


It might be difficult to tell by the picture, but I put 30 rounds of ammunition at dead center from about 15- to 20-feet. It sounds easy to anyone who hasn’t fired a handgun, but judging from what I saw others doing at the range (many who claim to be regular shooters!) it’s not as easy as it sounds. Accuracy isn’t by accident -- you have to follow the fundamentals if you want accurate results (a tight shot group).

I recommend everyone interested in learning more about the right to keep and bear arms and learn about what it takes to properly (legally) protect yourself and your family to contact Cedric (Rick) Ector, a certified NRA instructor, and take his class. Even if you don’t plan to move forward today and get your permit, at least take the class for the information and the experience of shooting at the range in a safe and professional setting. I can’t recommend it enough!

Here is my certificate:













Thanks Rick! I look forward to further training opportunities with you in the future!

No comments: